The Society for Art Appreciation and Research (SAAR) is a non-profit organization established to discovering new ways of understanding the visual and performing arts of India. SAAR is inviting applications for the 2013 SAAR Chitra Sethia Music Scholarship from Indian students of Hindustani classical music who are having financial difficulties in achieving their artistic potential.
The SAAR Scholarships
- 3 scholarships for students learning instruments: An annual scholarship of Rs.10 lakhs each will be awarded to students learning any of these instruments: Sarod, Santoor, Shehnai.
- 1 scholarship for student of vocal music: An annual scholarship of Rs.20 lakhs will be awarded to one exceptional student of classical Hindustani vocal music (singing).
- You must a citizen of India and currently residing in India
- Your age should be under 40 years
- You should be a committed music student. SAAR requires that you should have trained continuously for a period of 4 years in your chosen field.
- You are not eligible if you are receiving a prior scholarship from a funding body in the same academic year.
The scholarships will be awarded on the basis of an equal opportunity policy, using these criteria:
- Your musical experience
- Your artistic promise
- Your dedication to your chosen field
- Your financial needs
- Your proposed teacher / institution
- The potential you have to contribute towards society’s objectives for conserving Indian classical music
How to Apply
1.Visit the SAAR website for the application form: http://saarindia.net/Scholarship.php
2. Send your completed application form to: E 29, Green Park Main, New Delhi 110016, India.
3. You must enclose the following along with your application:
- A CD/DVD of approximately 20 minutes duration which demonstrates your musical ability (this is non-returnable).
- 2 letters of reference, one of which should be from your current teacher or from a professional musician. References from relatives is not acceptable.
- A signed copy or a valid photo ID.
- A letter which indicates your financial status. You should enclose valid documents which show your family’s financial status.
Selection through Audition
If you are one of the shortlisted candidates, you will be informed by post within 2 months of the receipt of your application. You then have to appear for a live audition at a suitable venue in New Delhi during a specific period. SAAR will inform you of the dates & venue of the audition.
One month after the audition, final selected candidates will be informed about their selection. These candidates must return a signed copy within 2 weeks of this notification if you wish to accept the scholarship award.
Important Note: you are advised to read all the terms & conditions of the scholarship before applying.
Last date for submission of application: August 7th, 2013
Society for Art Appreciation and Research
E 29, Green Park Main,
New Delhi - 110016
New Delhi - 110016